"Everything in moderation... including moderation."
Julia Child

Saturday, June 18, 2011

When I go to the gym

I wish I could afford a personal trainer to tell me whether or not I'm doing things correctly.

I tried to remember the stuff they taught us in high school when we had a unit geared toward using gym equipment and working out, the stuff I've seen on "The Biggest Loser" and other TV programs, and what other people I know have done.

When I go to the gym, I try to make the work outs last about an hour.  I usually start by spending 30 minutes on an elliptical machine, doing basic cardio.  If the machines I like aren't available, I use the stationary bikes or the treadmill -- anything to get the blood flowing, so to speak, and engage in some sustained physical activity.

It's strange, because as out of shape as I am and as much as I can tell it affects what I'm capable of doing physically, I can still do this.  I mean, I get winded climbing a flight of stairs, but I can go for a half hour on the elliptical and, yeah, I feel it but I don't feel it in the same way.  I don't feel as overwhelmed by it, physically, as I do when I try other things.  Does that make sense?

After that, I go to the weight machines (because, frankly, the free weights -- used by all these muscle-building men -- intimidate me).  I work out both the upper and lower body, hitting all the major areas:  the biceps, triceps, chest, upper and lower back, then I work on the legs: aductor and abductor  leg muscles, leg lifts and leg curls, calf presses.  I do 3 sets of 10 reps, adjusting the weight so that I am straining, but not hurting, myself when I reach the 8th-10th reps of each set.  (This is one of those things I remember from high school gym class).

When that's done, I use a giant exercise ball or a Bosu ball to do abdominal crunches.

Then I go home.

I usually feel it -- especially in the arms and chest -- the next day.  Nothing too bad, but enough to let me know I've worked muscle groups that have been neglected for far too long.

And my goal is not to be a body builder;  I find them to be physically unattractive and unfeminine.  It's just to help boost my metabolism through strength training, which also has benefits for bone health and physical endurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment