"Everything in moderation... including moderation."
Julia Child

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Heat helps: Observations on eating habits

Yesterday was probably the third or fourth discernibly hot spring day we've had around here.  The temps reached the high 80s, probably low 90s in some places, with humidity.  Now, I'm not complaining.  Not after the winter we had -- complete with a blizzard so bad government officials issued a "civil alert" or something like that, which basically means if you went out in the blizzard and got stuck in a snowbank, they weren't going to come help you and you should enjoy becoming a human Popsicle.  Not good.


So after a winter of waist-high snow and drifts taller than our van, I vowed never to gripe about weather no matter how hot the thermometer reads.  I don't have to wear boots, coats, hats, dress my kids in 6 layers of clothes, or dig our van out of its parking space.  I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on heat or curl up beneath piles of blankets to keep warm.  I can wear flip flops and t-shirts and crop pants.  This is my kind of weather.  Despite that, I am sensitive to heat and sun (comes with being fair and blonde and of European descent) so I have to be wise in the decisions I make when the temperature jumps and I'm not able to stay in air conditioned buildings.


One of the ways is to eat lighter.

And yesterday, I noticed I referred to the word "diet" a couple times (and it's in my anonymous handle), so I should probably clarify what I mean by "diet."

I do not mean a "diet" in the sense of self-deprivation, or some special program (think Atkins or South Beach), or pills (think Alli or whatever that is).  I basically don't mean anything that's meant to be short term, temporary, or a "jump start" to losing weight.  When I say "diet" I mean eating habits: eating habits that are sustainable for the long term.

To me, I see no point in being thin or healthy if I am not going to be able to enjoy food and the social component of eating.  There is no point in looking like a supermodel if all I'm ever going to be able to munch on is tofu, celery, and water.  Blech.  Or allowing myself to "binge" and then frantically hitting the gym for hours on end trying to work it off. I'd rather be fat and enjoying the finer things in life than thin and forgoing the turkey and sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving or spend days on the treadmill.  Not for me, thanks.

It's completely and totally possible to eat pretty much anything* you want, enjoy it, and still lead a reasonably healthy lifestyle.  Same goes for me, who is trying to lose weight.


With yesterday being a holiday, and hot, I was able to go to two events and only eat one plate of food at each.  And not a heaping plate, mind you.  Just a plate with reasonable serving sizes and I even had birthday cake at one of the events -- but not the other.  See?  I can exercise a modicum of self-control every now and then, even when the desserts look delicious.  Because of the way heat can affect my body, and since both places we went to did not have air conditioning, I ate light.  Even dinner was a sub, with watermelon on the side (the best summer fruit in my opinion) and lots of water.  I probably drank half my weight in water yesterday.

This is great from now until September, when the temperatures start dropping again, but what happens in the winter, when heat isn't a factor?  I keep going.  Keep eating reasonable portions, in one serving, and no snacking (and I didn't snack much yesterday, just a handful of potato chips before the first lunch).

And today I start a new job, so I packed a lunch -- salad, dressing, cheese cubes, some crackers, a granola bar and a peach.  I just finished a travel-cup of cereal (on sale at my local grocer 2/$1.00...wish I would have bought 30, they're so convenient).

Dinner is leftovers, and since there aren't many, it's a reasonable serving by default.


Up next, I'm still considering whether or not to post stats to track my weight loss -- keeping in mind I have no set weight loss goal...I'll think about it today.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment